Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUSMU View Post
2 months later.. I'm ~163. Haven't been as consistent as I was on doing 3000 calories a day and lifting, but doing ok.
One struggle has been not letting all the extra eating increase fats and make my stomach bigger.
What about carbs and proteins? There are a lot of methods out there but it can be tough to find out what works best for you personally. For me, I notice that in order for me to work out hard, I need at least SOME source of carbs (healthiest as I can get). When I tried the "no/low carb" thing, I felt weak. Fats in my diet are fine as long as they are healthy sources (no trans, minimal saturated). I have seen some research that shows fats actually assist in testosterone production, which will help build muscle. Don't quote me on that though. Protein is king as always when it comes to building lean muscle.

Problem is that you will ALWAYS gain some body fat when bulking. The claims that you can gain muscle AND lose body fat are technically misleading. You can minimize the amount of fat you gain though, which is what you should be shooting for. There's a reason bodybuilders bulk and then cut... it works. Of course not all of us can be like that.

Consistency in your diet is crucial. Stay on the calorie surplus and increase protein if possible (just my opinion). Alter your diet only if you change your workout routines and need more of something (carbs, protein, etc). If you are having trouble eating so much more, add some shakes into the mix. Lots of people need protein shakes because they can't eat that much physically. I know I can't, so I do at least two shakes a day.

In the gym, make sure you're changing up your routine. Shock stimulates growth. Don't do the same thing for longer than maybe two months, but ensure you're constantly adding weight to whatever it is you're lifting. Compound lifts with heavy weight will be your friend if you want to get strong (and gain size as well). Someone mentioned it already. Accessory work can help too, but squats, bench, deadlifts, etc are big. Your strength will improve first before you see visible size gains, but don't be discouraged. The size will come. Good luck!