View Single Post
      11-21-2020, 05:19 AM   #49
Leto1701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolarBear View Post
I guess it depends the purpose of it - if commuting / as your only car, the range for my longer journeys means it's £1000 a year in fuel difference (12,000 miles) even after paying more tax (in the UK at least - the UK had a weird tax change that pre March 2017 models paid £0 tax).

If your typical journey between charges were < 15 miles or much more than >60 miles regularly it would make little to no difference. But if you're between this sweet spot you get a decent return using EV mode for these miles.

Again, for people using it for:
  • A weekend drive only
  • A minimal distance a year
  • A 'super/sports car' experience
  • A second car
  • Super short journeys
  • >60 miles journeys

Then the bigger battery is completely pointless. But as a main car, commuting range between these, it's pretty awesome. If I'm going to be cruising on the motorway for 30-60 minutes, why not do it for pennies? It's not especially enjoyable to me to be going insane speeds on a motorway.

On a weekend drive, it's a different scenario completely. If you saw a nice fun road, you'd be mad to keep it in EV mode. These cars are 100% meant to be enjoyed in sports mode! I have a rule - if I see a fun road, I HAVE to enjoy myself. If you just used EV mode on these roads, you've just bought yourself a £120,000 Nissan Leaf.

But for cruising for miles on straight commuting road, EV mode has many benefits and few drawbacks.
I enjoy the silence driving a nice side road with the roof down through a forest in EV mode. To everyone his own...
Appreciate 0