View Single Post
      01-10-2019, 07:52 AM   #14
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

The company I have been with for 7 years is monthly. When I first started my career back in the mid 90's it was a weekly check! Then every 2 weeks. By the time I retire I suspect I'll be only getting paid annually. Ha!

Anyway, it's a shock at first but like anything you get used to it quickly. I actually like it now as it really forces me to budget more closely and think twice before making big purchases. I too get paid the last business day of the month. Out of sheer luck, most of my bills arrive around the 20th to the 25th of the month. So every month I get paid, the mortgage gets pulled out a couple days later, then it's crickets for weeks until the last week of the month. I basically just sit on this pile of cash waiting for the end of month bills. The whole system works just fine for me, however, I'm dual income, no kids, and we save like crazy so there's never any feeling angst over how long it will be until the next check. I do feel for our entry level employees pulling in ~$40k in an expensive city like Seattle. A month is a long stretch when you are barely making it.

One thing to check into, if your situation warrants it, is whether your new company will give you a draw on your pending first check after 2 weeks. We do that for new employees to help smooth the transition.
Appreciate 0