View Single Post
      04-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #50
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yea I knew you'd throw facts at me .

Basically I was just quoting BMW, they probably based that fact off of cubic feet vs usable space.

The i3 reminds me more of my 1 series for interior space.

The sub compact argument I was getting at was more about just perceived size and the i3 looks rather big compared to other sub compacts and the fact the packaging doesn't need a traditional engine it's shorter but the interior space is not akin to a sub compact in my opinion as I've owned practically every European sub compact in this country so not much .

Basically the smart car and Mini Cooper, fiats and the like. Don't drive Asian make cars so I wouldn't know about them.

The 3 series grand coupe actually feels smaller inside due to its super low roof than the i3 so maybe some of its perceived space.

I know BMW had to have some numbers behind their claim. Maybe the fact they got rid of the center council ..... who knows.

The m3 has nice materials the i3 is different, I like to think of some of the new stuff as "new premium". Truth in materials sort of way vs just more animal grain plastic. And I sort of believe them as when I get a 3 series loaner it's drab and boring compared to the i3. So a M is not your run of the mill 3 series so it's not a fair comparison. .

Otherwise yea I was giving it some thought, I think tesla can get away with running out the autonomous thing earlier than most as it's relatively low numbers than if BMW had a 3 series running around autonomously and they have lots to risk.

To tesla the teck can sells more cars, to BMW it's a possible liability and will take more time to work out the kinks. Plus tesla being smaller has less red tape. It's like how we are working with autonomous trucks and actually have been before tesla came to be but with anything. A multi ton truck on the road carrying goods needs years on top of years before it's ready for prime time. As one bad move and you could kill many many people. And open your self up to untold legal trouble.

Our company is taking it very safe and cautiously and not really wanting to leave anything to chance.

You know as your in the business that every company is different and have their goals set at different levels and their focus is also different. And BMW and the rest will have it in good time and sometimes being the first to market isn't always the best. Hey the guy getting decapitated when the tesla wasn't seeing the trailer is testament to that.

I'd rather a fool proof design come to market and take 10 years longer than a rushed half baked one with flaws just to say were the first and use it as a marketing point.

That wasn't a poke at tesla just a point to make, in the end tesla needs to keep doing what it's doing to keep in the spot light and to keep people interested so it keeps people invested and investing. For a very established company like BMW that is very profitable they can take a little more time as they have a lot to loose if it's not right.
Appreciate 0