View Single Post
      02-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #171
amgraham
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 x35d

I thought I'd update this thread with where we ended up...

We only trialed PS Vue because the other options either lacked channels or features that we wanted. It would have worked for us. The wife and kids got accustomed to the guide, finding the channels, etc. That wasn't a problem.

I had also purchased a Fire box, on sale, for the purposes of the trial based on reviews I read on the performance and usability with Vue. I even paid for a month of Vue so that our experience wasn't as limited. We were prepared to "switch".

This week, I called Comcast before the renewal was up again with Vue and explained the situation. The streaming worked for us, for the most part and I explained some of the technical issues and shortcomings of the X1 boxes, and that I didn't like paying $10/month for the 2nd and 3rd one.

Comcast offered to put me on their "beta" Stream service. Unfortunately, this only works on Roku boxes, right now. I don't have a problem with that. In fact, I like the Roku boxes better than the Fire as I didn't realize they have power and volume control for the TV, which the Fire does not. So... I ran out last night and picked up a couple to give this a whirl.

At the end of the day, my bill went from $170-ish to just a hair under $125, inclusive of the various local franchise, sports, etc. fees. That's locked in for a year. There is no fee, for now, for each box. If you read up on this service, you'll find that Comcast has floated the idea of charging per box. I could only take the word of the rep, fwiw, on what that fee might be, if/when they decide to charge. He indicated that it would be less than the regular set-top boxes and that if I called and complained, they'd probably waive them for at least a few of them. Of course, he also indicated that in a year, I could call back in, threaten to disconnect again, to re-up on the promotional rate. Funny how they tell you do that...

At the end of the day, it would seem that I achieved a couple of my goals. I reduced the bill by $45/month. I have boxes with more flexibility in placement, etc. as I'm not tied to coax. They work better than the X1 boxes. I also got to a single source/input as these stream Plex very well. We don't watch Showtime but they also threw that in for a year for free.

I'm pretty pleased with the outcome so far. Obviously, this is Comcast/Xfinity specific and from what the rep said, not offered in all markets. I guess it's not something they really pushing yet but if you're in the situation I am, threating to go internet-only with them, if it's available in your area, they'll offer to sign you up for the "beta" program.
Appreciate 0