05-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I don't know how performance vehicle ownership even exists in California due to the high cost of....everything. That said, a knee jerk reaction into a Tesla might be a mistake. It's important to cut through all the Apple-esque hype and realize what you're really getting, which in my opinion is a quick launcher with poor fit and finish and questionable interior design. And there will be significant battery maintenance costs above 100k.
I've tried as best I can to research EV battery life. I'm not sure the data is in on battery life. There are a few EVs with 200,000 miles on the original battery. There is a GM factory worker that drives a Volt a whole bunch of miles to work everyday, and I think he was reaching 300,000 on the original battery.

Ford did a fleet study of Hybrid Escapes it has in San Francisco. The SAE report I read said they lost just 2 battery cells out of a fleet of 100 Escapes and something like 1M total miles.

My problem with my commute is I can't buy an EV for under $40K that gives me enough winter season range. I can't charge at work. I was going to buy a Bolt when they came out, but the winter range was iffy to give me the 175 mile minimum I need.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0