09-13-2021, 01:12 PM   #2682
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Just as I thought I've seen everything there could be at the gym, I see a new one. This guy who is maybe 5'5 or 6 and small build is bench pressing. I then noticed he had 225 lbs set up. I was thinking now way this dude is benching that as even "retard" strength can only get you so far. I go about my workout and then glance over and now he's got 275 lbs set up on the bar. I was thinking what the heck. He asks the guy on the bench next to him for a spot. He goes over to his bench and then I realize something. He has one of those pretty stiff rubber work mats laid out on top of the bench. I then watch him bench and he does bench it but his range of motion is maybe literally a few inches as he is gripping the bar really wide. I also wonder how much of an assistance that rubber mat is contributing to this.
Not sure what mat you are talking about - have a photo by chance? Small build guys have the potential to bench more then those taller with longer ROM. My buddy was 175lbs at 5' 7" benching 315 with full ROM. Meanwhile I was 30lbs heavier and 3" taller benching the same weight. Regardless, if his ROM is only an inch then his back must be so damn far off the bench that it is comical.

Wide grip typically means he is training for competition. Did he seem like he was in a strong shape?
Appreciate 0