06-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #17
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
All about the training and rider, equipment doesn't matter and is basically bling. Go to some local bike shops and get gear that's comfortable for you.

A pro could do 100 miles in flip flops on a mountain bike faster than a trained amateur on the best equipment in the world.
While partially true, it's mostly misleading and partially false, as well.

There are a good number of amateurs in the triathlon world (and this is also true in the cycling world) that for various reasons, don't go pro, and yet, post times equal to, or better than, many of the pros. Hell, I'm usually a MOPer (middle of the pack), but on some good days, I have beaten some of the pros. And I'm not talking about ones that hurt themselves, or have an equipment failure.

As for gear, yes, some of it is bling, but it also makes a ride more comfortable, and more enjoyable. The difference between riding a carbon road bike and a steel mountain bike on a 100 mile ride is vast. And I mean the comfort level, as well as the enjoyment. You will go faster on the carbon bike (talking about a 100 mile road rise, of course), which leads to more enjoyment, and the carbon will soak up the vibrations. Also, you won't feel like you are lugging a 1000 lb weight up a hill with the carbon bike, whereas you will with the steel road bike. Same thing for many other pieces of equipment.