pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Strong points for sure. 140mph can easily be handled by the majority of German cars, but there are so many variables out of our control. I've noticed that even when I go 90 people are unaware and start coming into my lane as I'm passing. People will not notice a car moving much faster than the flow of traffic when they check their blind spots.

That combined with the risk of reckless driving charges, arrest, etc. keep me from going too crazy. I have a bit of a lead foot but rarely ever go faster than 85, there's too much to lose.
The problem comes when a driver is comfortable at 80 or 90 and then cranks it up to 140 or more. Aside from the fact that they're not familiar with how the car handles and responds to inputs at that speed, they're probably not looking far enough down the road. That's what gets people in trouble, not appreciating how far ahead they need to look and how little time they're going to have to react to whatever happens in front of them - especially when other cars on the road are going 80 mph slower and are not expecting them coming up behind them so fast.