03-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #29
YWGT3
iDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, Porsche Taycan T, MB EQE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
The 911 is faster from any speed of your choosing to any speed of your choosing.
Depends on which 911 you're referencing. If you're comparing the i8 to my prior 997-911 Turbo, sure, the Turbo is much quicker. Whereas, I've been able to surpass the 911: 4S, Carreras, and the Cayman GT4s (which I think is a far better track handling car than the 911s), with the i8 on the track.

As to whether the i8 is just a GT, IMO, the i8 is a sports car. It just so happens to be engineered with a more forgiving ride, nearing the Porsche Taycan suspension territory. The i8 is pretty quick and is every bit of a sports car with respect to its nimble handling and mid-range torque when spirited driving comes into play, albeit even better with a proper set of wider profile tires and definitely a larger battery capacity, needed for the track.

IMO, there's more to a sports car than just 0-60 or quarter-mile times. If not, then the Tesla S should be thrown into the sports car fray. To view the i8 as strictly a GT would be undeserving for such an iconic BMW car.

Last edited by YWGT3; 03-16-2021 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 1