View Single Post
      08-06-2023, 09:32 AM   #20
Domi40
JackD
Rep
Drives: BMW540 G80

ACE 2.0

ACE 2.0 -
I've had one for 2 years and it's not as bad as most people seem tone saying.
I'm posting this for the people who are having connectivity problems with the app, which has been a buh bearer for me and this os prevalent for people with either Apple Car Play or Android Auto.
The problem is that smart phones, can only have one wi-fi connection at any given time, if you have either of the above switched on, the phone app will not connect to the dash cam to view the footage, although it records with no problem. The simple way around this problem is to disconnect your phone from the idrive temporarily when you need to view the footage.
The other small issue is the fact that the SD card is only 32gb and whilst you can use a third party ones up to 128gb, you will get issues with the recordings, however it has a re-write loop which works well.
The other thing with the SD card is, you need to reformat it every month at least, but that is the same for every dash cam.
The footage is only 1080, but is good enough in most conditions.
The parking sensor is absolutely brilliant, I had an incident when an Amazon van scraped my back corner, when pulling out, after making a delivery to my house, because of the footage, I knew who caused the damage and was able to win my claim, which with excess and future higher fees for insurance, saved me approx £1000.
The specific BMW wiring also drains your battery less than other dash cams and doesn't void your warranty, although I would recommend anyone with a dash cam, charges their battery at least once a weak, or once a month if you do a lot of driving.
The other thing I would say, is that, I have not had any malicious damage or attempted theft (touch wood), I believe that's largely due to the fact that the camera is so visible and would be perps, know they will be recorded.
The reason this dash cam gets a bad rap, is 1) Smart phones only allow one simultaneous connection to wi-fi 2) BMW poor instructions and information available is the main culprit 😏
Obviously this is aimed at anyone with an ACE 2.0 and I hope it helps, because to date, I could not find this information anywhere, had to learn it all by myself.
If you're looking at a dash cam now, get the ACE 3.0 Pro, still the same issue with the Wi-Fi, however HDR recording, improves night time & and very bright sunny day footage.
I'm upgrading mine, next week 😊
Hope the above helps
Appreciate 1
ChiTownM1062.00