View Single Post
      10-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #53
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
Again- you obviously didn't watch the videos, nor the Penn and Teller one on page 2.

Did you watch the video? Most farmers buy new seed every year anyway, and most pollination happens within the crop. The guy who sued...90% of samples in his crop were 100% Monsanto.

It necessarily is. You need to leave some land to clover or something to enrich the soil with nitrogen from manure, and then the rest is more vulnerable to pests. According to the PEER REVIEWED journal "Nature", typical yields are 34% lower, although with certain legumes under ideal conditions they can be as little as 5% lower. It does not mention whether the yields are achieved at the same cost
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture11069.html
Those numbers are actually higher than I expected, and I suspect it's only for when the desired crop is planted, vs. rotation and fallowing of less desirable crops like clover.

Then you know more than the farmers, because that's what actually happens. How is basing it on measurable data "flawed"? You forgot to address the ecoli risk from manure fertilizer.

Nobody is forced to use GMO or Monsanto brand seeds or herbicides or pesticides (even lawsuits on cross-poliniation were speculative. Hasn't actually happened yet). They can use whatever they like or grow their own. They use Monsanto because, despite the expense, they get greater yields for less money in chemicals and irrigation. The links between GMO corn and bee die-offs was pure speculation with no evidence. Other countries banning GMO's has to do with propaganda-swayed public opnion- not with any evidence. The same kind of mods can often be made traditionally- it just takes decades or centuries of selective breeding.

You're treating this like a religious view.
Without GMO's farmers can reuse their sees without getting sued, saving money. My whole point about ecoli was if the manure has enough time to decompose there is no risk.
Appreciate 0