10-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #893
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc-m3 View Post
Self supported 50? There is a big difference between a self supported ride and a supported ride. Having designated stops where you eat and drink helps more than you think. It can be done on your own, but it takes a lot of discipline to take on enough food and water.

Great job! Keep it up and you will go further than you ever imagined. I too once thought a century was just crazy. Last year some friends and I did a double century in a day (STP).
Yeah, the 50 was self supported. Two large (25oz) water bottles and couple of honey waffles, plus a big carb breakfast. I didn't come close to zonking. Had plenty of energy left and it was pretty chilly, so heat wasn't an issue. It was mainly just my legs that wore out. The northern part of the ride is mostly flat. The southern part had all the elevation. Plus the wind picked up out of the south at the halfway mark just as I started an 11 mile southbound run. Between the wind and the hills, my legs worked a lot harder in the second half of the ride. Still, I'm fine today and could go out and knock out 25, which I might do later.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00