View Single Post
      09-30-2021, 10:48 PM   #24
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Nothing comparable between a light, rwd car and a CTR in terms of handling, even though it is great for a fwd car. Plus the old CTR doesn't seem to have sufficient cooling. Hopefully the fix it with the new one. Plus it's 30" longer than a Miata.
The autocross events I've been to disagree.

Yes, it's no Miata, but it's very nimble. If it's a larger course, I can beat it, if it's a smaller course, I can not.

One of the fastest cars we have at autoX is a prepped Ford Fiesta ST. Wheelbase, small wheels, decent acceleration, with good suspension and tires something like that can easily outhandle a RWD car (and it does, all the freaking time).

To that extent, it really just depends on where one finds their happy place, because you can go so far in either direction that there's almost no end. We've had a legend racing car at some of our last events and it's insane fast around turns, so quick. But it's not even street legal. Then yeah, there's Miatas and Fiats that just sail around the turns carrying so much speed, but does anyone want to drive those over a long distance?

IME racing it, the Type R is an outstanding car and quite under-rated. To that extent, the stigma of FWD is not always warranted, there are cars that defy it.

The Cayman is a real good choice because it's light and nimble enough to compete well in the smaller events and powerful enough and fast enough to compete in a little bigger stuff too. That's what I mean as far as how far you want to go, it's a very livable choice, as is the Toyota, etc.