03-23-2022, 12:24 PM   #5
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I have several friends who bought i3 60Ah when they were released back in 2013/2014. They have all consistently been charging to 100 percent at home, and they still drive these cars. They did not notice any significant capacity reduction.
Yes, but have they done a capacity check? confirmed 90% or better remaining capacity?
If a 2014 i3 with 100.000km and lots of fast charging has 99% remaining capacity, then we have nothing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
My understanding is that these tips apply to the Nissan Leaf and other cars with air-cooled batteries. BMW's on-board charger seems to be handling battery management things behind the scenes, and I can watch the amperage draw taper down on my home smart charger's graphs as the battery approaches full charge....
Might be, hear the Tesla owner talk about this as well, could be an "urban legend" that somehow got legit and has manifested itself as "truth".
Just like the fact that people were talking about BMW having bad cylinder heads up to the early 2000's just because they had some steel block/aluminium heads back in the 80's that some idiots broke due to not properly warming up the engine before pushing it.

I guess BMW has a lot of clever things running in the background.
Like the fact that when flooring it, there is a noticeable drop in performance around 60-70kph, but if you floor it at 90kph, the power is back. there is probably a restriction as to how long the battery can supply max power and not overheat.
I pretty sure this car could shave off at least 1 sec off the 0-100kph/0-60mph time if unrestricted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastali8 View Post
My understanding is that BMW has set the battery charging so that you may see 100% charge indicating but the battery management system has actually charged the battery to something less than 100% capacity because BMW knows that a battery will have a longer life cycle if it’s not held at 100% capacity. Another way of looking at it is a 100% charge is not the same as 100% capacity.
Thats what I thought too, I think BMW may say that 100% available charge is actually 85-90% of the battery capacity, also 0% is actually 10-15%.
I have also noticed that when fully charged, I can drive a long distance before the charge drops to 99,5%.
I can pretty much get to work using 4%, then using 7% home and 6% to work the next day when I start around 85%.

I have heard of very few issues with these cars and batteries, so I suspect that BMW has been cautious.

If I remember correct, the battery is 42KW, but only 38KW is available for use, meaning BMW built in a 4KW safety.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s

Last edited by Noggie; 03-23-2022 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00