View Single Post
      03-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #55
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

"A Bad Weekend"

In 1999, the wife is pregnant, I work for a finance company as a repoman. I'm on my way to work one morning and I am in a really bad accident where I was T-Boned in the middle of an intersection. I was turning left waiting on an RV to pass. The RV was in the left lane. Unbeknownst to me, there was a vehicle directly behind said RV in the right lane that merged into the left lane in the middle of the intersection. As the RV passes and I immediately begin to make my left turn, this is when the other vehicle (we could not see each other) changes lanes full speed into the passenger side of my 3 week old Mazda MX6. The impact broke my car in half. I instantly knew I was in trouble. I vaguely remember bits and pieces of what followed but this is what I recollect:

I instantly get out of my car, due to the impact I didn't have to open the door, I got out of the car by exiting through the opening behind my car door. I realize quickly that my right arm is in bad shape as it feels like it is on fire and due to the amount of blood that I was losing it felt like my arm from the elbow down was completely wet.....it was. My hand was at 12:00 on the steering wheel during impact and my right forearm caught most of the broken glass from my passenger side window. As I step around the cars to check on the the occupants of the other vehicle I notice the looks that I am getting from them. They look like they are looking at a dead man walking around. I remember asking them if they are ok and the driver immediately tells me that I need to sit down he is calling an ambulance. The passenger of the vehicle that struck me did not have a seat belt on and their face made contact with the windshield smashing a perfect spiderweb into the glass and dislocating the pinky on her right hand to where it was jutting out at a 90 degree angle from her hand. It was at this point when I noticed they had mirror tint on their windows and caught a glimpse of myself. It was similar to seeing a selfie created in one of those zombie pic apps. My nose was under my right eye at a 45 degree slant, I had a massive laceration on the bridge of my nose where the bone was sticking out and I had a waterfall of blood flowing down under. It was then I noticed blood was appearing on their car as I stood there, it was shooting out of my right arm. I remember going back to car to sit down until the ambulance arrived and slipping in my own blood and falling to the ground. I then remember sitting in my car and noticing their bumper was where my passenger seat should be. The passenger seat was folded in half and in the back seat. One of the on-lookers of the intersection was an EMT and was trying to assist me until the ambulance arrived. He was trying to hold my arm above my head as I was covering both of us in blood that just kept pouring from my face and arm. The next thing I remember is being in the ambulance and the EMT's asking me questions. They ask my name and I gave them my social security number, they asked my phone number and I gave them my address from when I was a small child. I was thinking to myself this isn't right but just could find the right information to provide them for some reason. I then remember being pulled out of the ambulance and my pregnant wife standing there and falling into hysterics as soon as she saw me. My head was in one of those orange block velcro things but I remember looking toward her and realizing how much blood I had lost as I was covered in it. This is where the memories stop......until Sunday.

The accident was on a Friday morning. I wake up on my sofa in my living room Sunday around 1:00 pm and my wife is nowhere to be found. I later found out that she left me alone to go eat lunch with her family at her grandparents. I suddenly realize and remember what had happened as soon as I try to move. The pain sets in quickly. I sit up and realize I can only see out of one eye then touch my face to find half my head covered in bandages, that's when I notice my arm is wrapped in bandages. I quickly realize that I am extremely hungry as I haven't eaten since Thursday night. I go to the kitchen and start looking for food. I open the freezer and see chicken patties. I grab some vegetable oil and put it in a pot, turn the stove eye on to let the oil heat and go sit on the sofa. The next thing I know, my wife comes busting through the front door screaming. My apartment is on fire. Apparently I passed back out and the kitchen is ablaze. I quickly run to the kitchen and see the fire coming from the pot of oil. Without thinking I grab a cup of water.....for those who know about grease fires should be cringing at this point. I douse the pot with the water and what comes next was nothing short of a scene from a movie. I see my pregnant wife out of the corner of my eye jumping toward the doorway of the kitchen in slow motion screaming NOOooooo.....

The flames shot up to the ceiling and instantly in a flash the entire kitchen explodes. The neighbors called the fire department and when they arrived I was still in the kitchen trying to put out the fire. Luckily I nor the wife was hurt in the fire, but that was hands down the worst weekend I have ever had.
Appreciate 1