bbbbmw
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
+1. One of the big reasons is border security. Another is the lack of proactive action in foreign countries. And the president meeting with narcoterrorists FARC doesn't help.
Yeah, I don't think we're on the same side of why we think it's a failure. My views stem from the belief that we are wasting way too much time, energy and money chasing and prosecuting what are otherwise non-violent offenders. Sure, there is also an element of violent offenders, but we've created the cartels and the hard criminals by giving them a black market in which to operate. They don't care about the drugs, they care about the money.

If we were to legalize, regulate and tax drugs a la alcohol, the black market would dry up, drug-related crime will drop off, we'd create thousands of jobs and the influx of income from the taxes would be huge.
You make a good point, but the flaw in the logic is that if drugs were legal, crime would drop; it wouldn't. People become addicted, can't hold a job, and steal to purchase legal drugs. Society gets a whole new class of people who can't care for themselves. Amsterdam did this, and it hasn't been a positive experience, IIRC.

The lack of a federal response to CO legalization shows that the Administration's heart is not in the war on drugs, so of course we are losing it.

IMO, we should have a public service announcement campaign, showing the devastation and ruined lives caused by the drug trade in Mexico, Latin America, and the Middle East. American drug users should be ashamed at the human suffering caused by their want to smoke whatever. Is that joint you're smoking worth the suffering of an innocent Mexican family at the hands of a ruthless cartel? We can boycott grapes for decades, but we can't boycott weed?