View Single Post
      12-20-2018, 08:12 AM   #1122
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Kinda late to this discussion but good read so far.

Regarding the transmission option, sure it's been discussed to wits end but I'd like to add my perspective...

The unintended consequences of failing to offer a true manual transmission in this platform might be a serious problem for brand/model longevity. Reason being, there is demand for it-especially in what is essentially a "toy car" and 2nd/3rd owners who will use it for HPDEs.

Just like any other auto/smg/dct car, they do age and after a certain amount of time feel old (just like a computer or smartphone). Regardless how advanced the transmission feels today, in 10 years it will feel old and clunky. Plus factor in unknowns like manufacturer defects, running costs and it could seriously sway people away from buying and holding these long term. (i.e. car worth $25k with problematic $10k transmission). Heck look at pricing on the SMG E46 M3 and E60 M5 SMGs.

The other unknown is will they support and make parts for it in 15 years? You can still reliably get parts for E30s, E36s, Miatas, etc. and I have a feeling the answer is probably no for the "Supra"/Z4.

If (Toyota/BMW) want to see this be more of a long-term cult classic car and get all the benefits of homegrown aftermarket support, offer a true manual transmission. Otherwise it will likely lose it's appeal in a couple years and be on to the next thing- unless that is their goal?

If that's true, one could begin to question to how the rest of the car is built/designed (5 year lifespan)?.

EDIT: I'd also like to add, don't underestimate the importance of the japanese tuner scene. If this becomes a cult classic car, there could be a ton of benefits for BMW owners in aftermarket parts support/upgrades.

Last edited by carguy138; 12-20-2018 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00