Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScullyD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminor513 View Post
More and more nails in the coffin for ICE performance cars. This is impressive although I was hoping the X5M comp would do much better.
Why would these be considered "nails in the coffin for ICE cars"? Because folks only have one criteria when purchasing a vehicle and that's how fast it gets to 60 mph?

Until manufacturers completely stop producing them, plenty of us will continue to choose the screaming and obnoxious inline 6s, V8s, V10s and V12s.

How fast a vehicle gets to 60 mph is pretty far down the bottom of my list when choosing a vehicle. Same goes for how quickly it goes around the 'Ring. Cute statistic, but that's about it.
"Why would these be considered "nails in the coffin for ICE cars"? Because folks only have one criteria when purchasing a vehicle and that's how fast it gets to 60 mph? "

You are correct. 0-60 the only thing that matters to 99% of performance car buyers, even if they say otherwise.
If that were the case we would all just skip on over to TESLA and call it a day…..

… but we haven't.
Or Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc. I'm not debating that ICE cars have advantages today, and for many the dynamics of ICE prevail. But the future is EV whether we like it or not. For the record, I have two ICE cars, I don't own an EV. It's just where the auto industry is going, we can all agree to disagree if you have a different point of view.
I can agree that they will have a range of EV offerings, but I disagree that some big EV takeover is looming. The auto industry knows that a culture shift toward EV's will take many decades……if ever (…at least here in America).
It all depends on what your definition is of a takeover. It's going to continue to be subtle at first, few more models here and few more models there, then one day we are all going to look around and see significantly more EV offerings than ICE. We can of course debate how long that transition will take, certainly not decades (plural) but likely within one decade it will be a completely different vehicle landscape. The big transition or looming takeover as you put it, will occur when affordable EV pickup trucks and sedans become widely accessible to the masses. Will there still be some new ICE cars still available for purchase, I'm sure there will be, just like there are still some manual transmission options for new cars. This is a bmw forum, and this slow transition is happening right here at BMW. Next M5 will be hybrid, which certainly signals the future direction bmw Motorsport is heading. If you watched the bmw M-town video closely, there were some Easter eggs in there of EV chargers. Pretty much every new BMW being launched has some EV variant. It's happening right here gentlemen, whether we want to admit it or not.
Sedan_Clan25022.00