View Single Post
      02-06-2019, 02:31 PM   #54
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I understand the "coding" can be misnomer, but ability to change depends on individual skill set.

And, the way you phrased makes it sound like request is not possible.
No, you're not listening.

The ability to change the behavior of the SOFTWARE has nothing to do with the coders "skill set". The coder's "skill set" is typically gauged by how many of the DATA storage locations they know about and how well they understand the associated PREDETERMINED functionality.

The "coder" can only change DATA which the BMW software engineers have made available to be changed. The coder can NOT change the SOFTWARE or FIRMWARE regardless of their coding skill set. They can not change the logic. They can only change the data which the logic reads. If the desired logic is not already in place, they can not alter, modify, or augment it.

---

Lets suppose you have a keyboard and a little box for text entry in your speedo. You type 35 and the car goes 35. You type 55 and the car goes 55. The software would be designed to read the DATA you typed in and set the speed accordingly. You might WANT to add the functionality of the SOFTWARE to automatically roll up the windows if you enter a DATA value of 55 or higher, but if the SOFTWARE doesn't already have this logic you can't just "code it in". All you can do is change the DATA (not the logic).

---

So, no, I DON'T expect this request is possible. Not unless this logic has already been coded into the software and simply hasn't been exposed yet...
Appreciate 0