View Single Post
      02-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #4
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
Laws on this vary around the country so you’ll need local advice on your rights in these circumstances. Probably cost more than $300 to get that. That said, if what you’ve been told is true, then you likely have the right to maintain trees that overhang your yard, including shearing them to the property line if you think that is best.

Always better to try to cooperate with neighbors, but since this is a property management company and there is likely some urgency to getting the clean up accomplished, I would suggest going ahead and getting it done, then sending a letter to the prop manager with copies of the receipts noting that you tried several times unsuccessfully to reach them, had to move ahead, completed the work at reasonable cost and expect reimbursement. Then forget about it because you likely won’t hear anything more.

Another route would be to contact your insurance company about it - not because they’ll pay this claim or pursue it for you (they won’t would be my guess), but because it would be nice to know how to handle this if the tree did real damage to your house, car, or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Pay the $300 and move on - it's not worth the hassle and your time is more valuable than that.

That is also a bloody bargain. I used to live in FL and had a large oak tree come down in my yard during a hurricane. Cost me $3,500 to have them come and cut down the rest and remove it.

2000cs is certainly on target as well - and I agree - worthy of an call to your homeowners insurance at least.
Great advice guys, thanks. I will 100% be contacting my insurance company and providing photos of the tree as I want to be on record with them from day 1 that the tree is in ill-repair, improperly maintained, and a hazard. That way if anything does happen, even if it's 10 years from now, I've got that record of having reported the hazard to both my insurance company and the property management company.

No one is feeling my "dump it in their backyard" idea?
Appreciate 3