09-26-2022, 10:38 AM   #25
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyz$123 View Post
I do realize that. The same is true of Bluecruise which I've used for quite awhile.

Bluecruise is slightly closer to autonomous. That's left me a bit spoiled. If I was coming from adaptive cruise Drive Assist would seem like a huge step forward. Coming from Bluecruise it's a small step back.
I have the hands free traffic jam assistant on my X5 and it works decently (it has issues but they are off topic). It is fun to take your hands off the wheel at first but I find that paying attention to the road without at least resting one hand on the wheel ends up becoming uncomfortable. It is fine when I have something to do with them, like playing air drums to music, getting myself a sip of my drink, etc. but on longer stretches I end up placing a hand back on the wheel anyway, which is also useful for avoiding bad pavement which we have plenty of here. Basically, other than short breaks which you can do in the non hands free versions of this anyway, I don't find that being hands free is really that much more enjoyable. Where I can see people getting "spoiled" by it is if they are using their phones over long distances or something else that they shouldn't actually be doing.

I mean maybe I am in the minority about not feeling comfortable paying attention with my hands on my lap instead of on the wheel. are you more comfortable like that or what?
Appreciate 0