10-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #81
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAY View Post
I don't think it's fair to say that. Those who speak up on the forum do not represent all potential buyers. I'm a genuine potential buyer, and I love it. I wouldn't normally have spoken up about it but the many negative posts on the looks made me post this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
So 90% of the chattanooga, TN BMW customers think it is ugly. What does that tell you about what the New Yorkers or Californians think about it?
Nothing!
Does it tells you what Germans, Dutch, Brittish or other europeans think about it?
NO!
Does it tell you what Chinese, Japanese, Brazillians or South Africans think about it?
Absolutely not!

Point here is that BMW is a global brand and you can't judge how others in other parts of your country or or other parts of the world and other cultures will like it by extrapolating the local taste. It just doesn't work that way for any local taste.
These two posters get it. What do they have in common? They're European.

Point 1: I've said this before about posters here with America-centric blinders on. BMW is a global brand. In fact, it's the second-strongest global automotive brand now. Today. In its growth days, it focused on, and developed models for, the U.S. market. Those days are long gone. As patriotic and myopic as those posters are who believe the U.S. is the only market that should matter to BMW, you're just dead wrong. Accept it and get over it.

Point 2: As others have noted, this car is not designed for the American market. It is designed for markets that have a far higher level of EV acceptance, no matter where the source -- government incentive, social, financial, environmental. Apparently people in those markets like this car.

Point 3: To date, Tesla was primarily designed for the American market; that's part and parcel of its conventional-car-look approach. The Model 3 will change that, but that design approach will stay the same because Tesla now has that design niche wrapped up thanks to something another poster pointed out: a Tesla's range and charging infrastructure are what has made the car successful -- NOT its looks. Once other manufacturers enter the market with comparable EVs regarding range and charging, how will they differentiate their products from Teslas? One major way will be to make them not look the same -- as either a Tesla or a conventional car. That's to be expected. In 10 years time, Teslas will be seen as conservative unless its changes its design approach -- and that's if Tesla is even in the car market in 10 years' time (I personally give that a 50-50 chance).

Point 4: This is a forum full of performance-car enthusiasts. Of course we're going to think this i5 is ugly and unnecessary. We, however, do not matter one iota to BMW in regards to this car. I'd venture to guess that 5 percent of us are even in the market for this kind of car. So poo-poo this car's looks all you want, blinder wearers. You do not matter. At all.

Last edited by Viffermike; 10-14-2016 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0