Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Last two gens I bought the original version and then bought the “new and improved” versions of the PS3 and PS4. This time I might wait one year or whatever it is to buy the refreshed model. What’s nice is now the PS5 will finally offer backward compatibility. I was done with the platform if I was going to have to reconstitute my library again.
If I’m not mistaken, it was a hardware limitation for backward compatibility because the games were coded for specific processors (CPU/GPU) architecture that the new consoles couldn’t read.

They probably could’ve added decoders that would’ve allowed backward compatibility, but the hardware probably wasn’t strong enough to handle the constant load (read not enough RAM for both the OS and decoder to run simultaneously). And you couldn’t install the previous OS onto the new system because the OS is designed to look for specific hardware IDs to verify it’s a Sony Console. Prevents people from using the PlayStation OS on PCs and still being able to play the console games, ensuring Sony still gets their ROI for manufacturing the console.
Appreciate 0