View Single Post
      03-11-2020, 04:37 PM   #22
Cal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs, NSX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It's actually a great driving car. Funny, people say it's underpowered, doesn't perform as well as it looks etc, but it's pretty much on par with the F80 M3. It's just that for the price and with that look we were probably expecting something with 500hp. In the end though it's actually a great car with styling that still looks ultra-modern today. I wouldn't call it a flop-it was an example to the world that a hybrid didn't have to be boring. How many cars looks as close to their ultra futuristic prototypes? It was amazing that this car was made at all. Sure, it was never going to replace the 3 series or X3 as BMW's bread and butter, but it's a $100k+ hybrid. I'm surprised it survived as long as it has!
Spot on. To me, the i8 is a car with the performance close to an F80 M3, but with 2-3 times the fuel economy, super-car looks, mid-engine CFRP body, fairly lightweight, and decent practicality. Most supercars or sports cars that outperform it don't have the fuel economy nor practicality as a DD like the i8, and most cars (outside the Tesla performance models) that have the fuel economy of the i8 don't have the performance nor looks of the i8. I think the i8 provides a good balance of looks, performance, and practicality that few other cars, if any, provide.
Appreciate 3
clee1982797.50
ChiTownM1062.00