View Single Post
      03-21-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
awesam
Rep
Drives: land rover lr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leto1701 View Post
For one, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you look at the i8 roadster and this version, you can come to very different conclusions. For my part, I think the Roadster is very beautiful, open especially much more than the Coupe. And this sorry attempt is no match. So I am glad BMW didn't do this.

However regarding rigidity of the carbon reinforced plastic life module of the i8 I would not be concerned. I usually don't like Roadsters or Convertibles because of exactly the same reason mentioned above, the lack of rigidity and the wobbling of the whole car plus the weight increase to counteract that. But driving both Roadster and Coupe intensively before deciding for the Roadster I can confidently say the Roadster doesn't suffer from that issue and I suspect this modification wouldn't much either. Maybe the stability of the door construction that is modified for the Roadster would a little without affecting driving.

So if you can bare the looks go for it I would say.
the biggest things compelling me to the i8 is the fact that it is a supercar with 4 seats and electification. the only other car that comes close with this level of exotic design is the lotus evora (but then you miss out on al the electification). this is definitely a niche that is capturing the imagination of the best minds in the automotive industry as can be seen with the gamera. being able to add a t-top would just be the icing on the cake. the roadster just does away with one of the things that makes the car so unique as a platform turning it into a strict 2-seater.
Appreciate 0