View Single Post
      09-19-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
EnVe46
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 LeMansBlue

This exact reason and a couple others, is why I switched to dumbbells only. I use resistance bands to stretch and warm up the tendon you're referring to. Mine was so bad at one point, it hurt doing curls. Also, take a tennis ball or lacrosse ball and roll it very hard in your muscles after working them out. It helps break up the muscle and relieve the soreness.

One reason I use dumbbells is you can tuck your elbows more and use the range of motion thats most comfortable to you. There is no 1 way to bench, just general rules. I like keeping my elbows slightly tucked to take the tension off my shoulders as using the straight bar put a TON of strain on my shoulders. Also, I feel I can get great contraction with dumbbells that I couldn't train myself to get with straight bar. There is mixed thoughts on which is "better" but to me, the one that doesn't hurt and gives great gains is the better for me. And because you're able to do the movement with out any pain or being uncomfortable, it allows you to load more weight. Lastly, I started doing medium/heavy weight at high reps. So, my max on dumbbells, not really max but the weight I can get a few reps is 120lbs. So I start with a warm up of say 65lbs x 20 reps, then jump to 85 x 15 reps, 90 x15 reps, 95 x12 reps and 100 x8-10 reps. This has yielded me much better gains compared to a lot of the other things Ive tried over the last 8 years. Point is, continually try new workouts, rep count, supersets to get your comfort zone. One thing I learned is take peoples advice and fit it to what benefits you.

One more note, give yourself 2 weeks off from using that motion, so do really light chest and shoulder days while you let the tendon heal. And use a foam roller, definitely helps