03-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartTX View Post
I know they sell bmw watches at the dealership parts counter. There's a display case full of toys, hats, etc.
They do. Those are the ones made as "private label" watches by Tourneau. "Made" is something of a misnomer re: Tourneau and assembled is perhaps more accurate. Tourneau has it's own line of watches that differs little -- beyond styling and brand name -- from any other ETA-inside watch. That said, I believe the BMW watches made by Tourneau are quartz watches not mechanical ones, but I haven't actually picked one up to see for myself.

Josh over at Hodinkee had a little to say about one BMW/Tourneau watch. (http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2010/12...-quartz-a.html) I am of essentially the same mind about them.

If they don't sell well and get marked down, I might grab one just for the novelty of it. That's not because I think they are overpriced or cheap or anything like that. I just don't want one in the first place because there are other things I want more. But I don't think there's something wrong with it. It's no better or worse than any other quartz watch. Plus, substantively speaking, there's not generally a whole lot of difference that's noteworthy among quartz watches assuming the case is well made.

As for the BMW watch in the pic, I don't know where it came from. I do know that to my eye, it's either a very unsympathetic picture or it's a hideously poorly made watch or it's old and the years haven't been kind to it.

Sneakers:
I did see those at my local BMW store some time back. They were on sale. I think they too are no worse than the non-BMW branded version of a similar Puma shoe. Assuming I liked the Puma-only version, I'd buy the cheaper one, regardless of co-branding. I mean, really, they are sneakers not formal pumps with a roundel on them. Just how much of a difference can that tiny roundel make on that shoe? How dig a "douche" would someone need to be to (1) notice it given how small it is, and (2) to give a damn. Aside from that, they look like white, blue and black sneakers to me.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0