techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
As someone that is a "car guy", worked at GM in the 80's and recently worked on chips in ADAS and ASIL-C/D systems how do people keep claiming that Tesla is ahead?

They are ahead in infrastructure, that's true.
They have good battery technology, but BMW, Ford and others are heavily invested in next-gen solid state battery technology. But even now, the technology used in batteries across the board is roughly equivalent.

Tesla is not "the leader" in autonomous technology; they just market their technology using names that imply something they don't have. GM/Cruise is ahead of Tesla in highway autonomous driving and is truly hands free. Not like Tesla, which requires your hands remain on the wheel. Tesla is L2, but so is BMW, Audi, and others.

Tesla is not and never will be FSD. The lack of redundancy in it's camera system is the first issue.

Tesla is the leader in selling EV, but that does not make them the leader in the tech, etc. Tesla had a clean slate. Other companies need to stay in business to transition to EV or fuel cell.
ESG investors and customers view Tesla as a tech company rather than a car company. Consequently any screw up on Tesla's part is overlooked. They do solar, space, and automobiles. Perhaps a modem day version of GE.

Personally I'm worried about my next vehicle. I want to continue to drive ICE but I worry about fuel prices going through the roof once EV's have begun to reduce consumption of gasoline. It's why I'm holding on to my paid off 4-series.
Traditional auto companies get hammered for the quality, etc. that Tesla owners and others accept.

I hold them to the same standard as my Chevy, Dodge and BMW cars. That being said, I won't buy a Tesla. it's not because I love any of the other brands and I'm biased; it is because I don't like Tesla cars.and that is unrelated to what I do like.

Yeah, if you have a paid for 4 series I'd wait. I was in the position of having a 2008 335i that I was going to replace next year just because it was starting to show it's age in mechanical reliability. Unfortunately, the car was totaled and I find myself needing to buy a car. I can wait until the i4 is delivered but not much beyond that.

For me it's a new BMW ICE or BMW electric?
Even though the electric is new and a "bridge" model I am going for it. I'll buy it because I really don't care that there will be a new platform in 2025. While the drivetrain of the i4 is new, most of the remainder of the car is not. So it's not 100% new. A new platform in 2025, means I don't buy it until 2026/2027.

I need a car now.