View Single Post
      10-20-2021, 08:01 AM   #75
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
I just can't get pass the point that the i4m is heavier, slower, less range, more expensive than the M3P

I'll give you the whole quality thing, and the exterior looks the best of any EV

but I would expect the BMW to be quicker and above all, lighter than the Tesla if this is supposed to be the ultimate driving machine :

I'm ok with the premium if it performs better
I'm in a similar boat. If you've owned a Model 3, and you're not a rabid fanboy, you're likely smitten by the stuff that they do get right. And believe me, Tesla gets a LOT right with the Model 3. The drivetrain, driving experience, charging, interaction with the UI...it all just feels so much further ahead than any car on the market.

But then you have to put up with the sh!tty suspension, the low level of parts (not build) quality, some (or many) build quality issues, the lack of basic stuff working right (auto high beams and wipers are a disaster), glitchy electronics (hello spinning wheel of death audio player), etc. Like every other car out there, it's a compromise, but you can taste the future. Tesla does take some short cuts in parts quality and manufacturing, but when it comes to the actual driving components, they do not.

If you've owned, or do own, a modern luxury car, and you own a Model 3, some part of your brain is always screaming "come on BMW, come on Audi, GET THERE". Porsche is almost all the way there, but the Taycan feels heavy and is EXPENSIVE.

So then the i4 comes out and you notice that it weighs quite a bit. The ETron has the same problem. And that dulls the performance. Will it be enough to overcome the price and justify the much better interior? I'm looking forward to finding out.
Appreciate 0