techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
It maybe the case that Tesla skips on safety to hit weight and range targets, and consumers should be aware of it.

The battery chemistry is not improving and thermal runaways are real, so informed consumers should carefully weight(no punt intended) the tradeoffs.
Baloney.

Tesla safety, outside of FSD crashing into cars, is fine. The car is fine in accidents. In fact, it's better than fine. it's excellent, and crash tests prove it.

Battery chemistry is improving.

Thermal runaways aren't any different than any other BEV. Last I checked, Tesla wasn't recalling all their cars for thermal runaways when left unattended. Ahem Chevy / LG.
As far as IIHS, Tesla is a safe car even in a roll over. Not worried about battery in any EV; even my Bolt.
But the Bolt ISS is LG Chem and could have been any company that buys LG Chem; one of the world's largest manufacturers of EV batteries.

My ICE 335i had an electrical fire and was totalled.

FSD and the build quality/components are my issues.

Battery chemistry on the whole is changing and it also looks like reliable solid state batteries are on the horizon. That will be a game changer for weight and energy density.