techwhiz1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335, E70 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
There is a.point where more HP/torque becomes a pissing match.

I really think we are at that point. My E90 had about 400 HP and about the same torque.

I could not, at least on public roads, could not use anywhere near the limits of performance.

I figure the i4 M50 hits the diminishing return threshold. For me any additional performance is a waste.

I above always purchased cars for a.mix of performance and comfort. Gas mileage wasn't an issue since none have been "gas guzzlers".

I don't know if the M50 would fit that definition,; it might due to weight and range. I'm still buying it. I haven't seen anything else that doesn't cost the whole six figures that I like.
My E39 was surging I6 NA 5MT 0-60 in 6.8 seconds and that felt fast.

The next F30 was flat (power band) I4 turbo 8AT 0-60 in 5.8 seconds and that was fast.

The current G20 was flat (power band) I4 turbo 8AT 0-60 in 5.6 seconds, and is just as fast as previous F30, and rotates even better than E39/F30 at cloverleaves and flyovers(with Tesla 5-6 car lengths behind!).

I would say the E39 felt the most engaging(to plot ahead/around/behind), with full surging power band utilized all the time.

The 8AT's really are stepping stones towards PHEV/BEV/FCEV.

I like BEVs with 0-60 around 5-6 seconds, so i4 eDrive40, Model 3 SR/LR, etc, etc, are the ones of interest to me.

With battery/BEV/FCEV/PHEV advancements, I want these:
  • 0-60 around 5-6 seconds
  • battery safety
  • fast charging
  • 15 years/150000 miles 80% battery warranty
  • 500-600 miles of range
  • 3500lb
  • G20-like handling
  • reliable and safe ADAS(or automaker takes 100% liability, or zero ADAS).
I think you are years off to get the battery density/range you want in a 3500 lb package.I personally don't care about weight if the range is there. Just like a ICE car range requires a bigger battery (tank) and fast means higher energy consumption. There just isn't a free lunch.

Currently Tesla is moving toward iron batteries in the TM3 that have more cycles and weigh more. Cost less

It's now a battery tech race. Higher energy density and away from lithium.

Right now that long range car you want is a Lucid.