View Single Post
      04-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #104
Analyst1899
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by packet View Post
Ugh when did round become a dirty word in design?
what kind of psychedelic drugs are these designers on?
The iDrive 8 technology looks awesome - however, the graphics they have chosen to use for conveying information to the driver is horrible. Unfortunately, BMW has opted for style over substance - they have chosen StarTrek design graphics over display graphics that quickly convey usable information. There is a reason that round dials (circular dials) have been so popular - they rapidly (instantly) convey the information to the viewer - be it fuel levels, oil pressure/temperature, engine speed or vehicle speed. They provide the information in a form that does not require the eye to decipher what it sees - simply viewing the angle of the gage needle does that. It's no different than reading the time of day on a digital versus an analog clock display. The digital display requires that I must read each number in the time display, then translate those numbers into a meaningful time of day. The analog display gives me the information about time of day instantly by simply by glancing at the two hands - the angle of the hands provides the information I need without having to read anything. BMW- wake up and AT LEAST give the driver the chance to select (to choose) a conventional round-dial display of speed (and other vehicle parameters). The round displays can and should be digital - just don't limit the selection of gage types to the fancy geometric designs you have shown us so far.

Last edited by Analyst1899; 04-25-2021 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50