05-27-2022, 08:10 PM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSouthern View Post
Hi all, Looking for advice/experience...

My daughter is taking her 2018 i3Rex to college in a few months and will be driving it there. We live in San Jose and she's going to school in Los Angeles. About 400 miles door to door on Hwy 5. We've driven up and back to SF from SJ, leaning heavily on the REX so we have done the round trip without needing to charge mid-way, that was a mix of battery then REX keeping the SOC at 75% most of the time (driving at highway speeds). Those drives are ~160 miles round-trip. So my question is related to extended use of the REX. Is it ok and has anyone driven using the REX for long periods, refueling (gas) multiple times on one journey? I assume that since it's a scooter motor, running for 5-6 hours straight (stopping to fill up gas) is ok, but wanted to see if anyone has done this and if there are any precautions/catches. The reason to run the REX most of the way is so we can get up the grapevine with the battery and REX (I don't want to be at a minimal charge and only able to climb the hill slowly), which for those not familiar with the area, goes from sea level up to around 4000 ft, then back down into the LA basin at sea level. It's a pretty steep climb over a relatively short distance.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

-Richard
I drive from Chicago to Michigan about 6 hrs total drive to the metro Detroit area once every other month.

No issues at all. Just stop
To fill up every so often which works well for my bathroom breaks lol.

Have 93k miles now
You'll be fine
Appreciate 0