02-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #9
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000cs View Post
That would be retail. I was referring to wholesale. My employer is a participant in the PJM market (PJM.com) where you can see wholesale prices. Today prices are under $20/MWh or $0.02/KWh. Ignoring mild weather which has prices low for winter, I would expect that to be in the low $20s. 5 years ago that would have been low $30s. Natural gas below $2.00 and each new generator being more efficient has the conversion below $20 (may be as low as $16). Solar is of course zero dispatch, wind is negative (because of the production tax credit). So on balance costs are falling wholesale. I am most experienced with PJM but this seems to be true nationwide. EIA probably has some reasonably reliable data, as would your state’s electric regulatory body. And for that matter, your utility might even provide it.
but as i said, even the fact that in NY residential electricity rate been flat change the calculation significantly already. if wholesale been falling, retail been flat, it's only reasonable to assume it will at least continue to be flat for residential. again thanks for the insight, this is a game changer in the decision making process...
Appreciate 1
2000cs3450.00