12-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #38
Carac
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E39M5, SLSAMG, RRS SVR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpca356 View Post
I count 14 friends who've owned various RR's in the past. Most bought new and proceeded to never buy them again. They were hit with not only gargantuan depreciation but most of their cars spent ton of time in the shop for electrical/mechanical problems.
Then you have some unlucky friends. I've had three and the only time they've visited a service center is for scheduled maintenance.

But again, this is a BMW i8 forum and you keep bringing up Range Rovers...
I'm guessing it's an attempt to discredit or make light of my posts with trite and outdated jokes about Range Rover reliability and depreciation from when they were still trumped up farm trucks with nice interiors then amalgamations of Rover, Ford, and various other manufacturer's parts. You're free to keep feeling smug about your i8 purchasing decision, I sure felt good about mine at the time, right up until I saw BMW doing everything possible to pull the rug out from under the market.

Bottom line, it's a great time to buy an i8, there are dealers willing to make some deals that would have been unthinkable this time last year. I'll keep an eye on dealer stock just out of curiosity but I think I've exhausted the point by now.

They went from:
  • crazy markups over MSRP
  • Sales manager requiring a "Right of first offer" when you decide to sell the car
  • Smug sales associates talking about how they were only going to get 1-2 a year (at large dealerships)
  • covered transports
  • special areas in the showrooms

to
  • crazy markdowns under MSRP
  • Sales managers saying, "Sure, we allow test drives. You want to take it to lunch?"
  • Sales guys saying, "we've got 3 or 4 out back in addition to the ones in the front"
  • Open transports
  • Parking on the grass next to long-term resident 2-series out front

Last edited by Carac; 12-07-2015 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 1