View Single Post
      11-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
In the shop for 45 days because of this...

When I took delivery of my i3, I found a small inch-long tear in the roof seal, probably when the dealer was removing the transport wrap on the roof.

At the time, it wasn't a big deal. Dealer was going to replace the seal under warranty. However, that involved replacing the entire roof frame, repainting it, and reapplying the silver decor decal. The car was ready 28 days later, because they painted the frame wrong and had to replace it again with parts from Germany. Upon inspection, I found the painted area had nibs and the silver decal was not applied correctly.

I rejected the repair and asked the dealer to look into the stuff I found. About another 17 days later, the dealer calls and says they had to replace the roof frame another two times. The third time, the quality was poor, so they had a separate "factory-trained" shop do the work from scratch for a fourth time. The car is supposed to be ready in a few days.

At this point, my car has been in the shop for 46 days and the roof frame replaced four times. The dealer has been doing a poor job of communicating with me and I've already involved BMWNA. While I agree the repair work done is overkill compared to the actual problem, and in retrospect I'd probably let the tear go, it's in the past. The car has been out for over a month and taken apart so many times that I'd like to understand my options if they botch the fourth repair. Lemon Law? Buyback?

That said, if the fourth attempt is successful, would it be reasonable to ask for 2-3 lease payments back?