View Single Post
      02-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #70
Dlpfcb
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
I *THINK* I'm cruizing along, possibly on a record pace for 5K. RunKeeper keeps telling me I'm at 5:30 or less at each .5K

I get home and I'm 2 minutes over, and my splits show 6:12, 6:28, . . . WTF!!!!

This short steps thing is still messing with me. EVERYTHING is off. Arm swing, breathing, time. To take those shorter steps, my hands are clenched and pulled up to almost my neck. Used to be in a very comfortable "Strand-y run" with loose hands and bent below 90 at the elbow.
Every runner is a little different it’s just body layout, flexibility etc. Don’t think about your stride length, just think more about what is comfortable for you. If your cadence is in the 180 range you are fine. Over thinking your stride length is just going to mess with your natural stride. Stride and step count is going to change as you speed increases it’s just normal. How your foot makes contact with the ground is much more important than stride length. Also running with run keeper is never going to get you as good of data say as a Garmin or a Polar watch will. If you are truly getting into running and competition I would invest in a garmin. It changes not only my view of how I plan my training but but tells me when I need some rest days or am ready to hit it again. What is your weekly mileage currently and what is your current 5k PR and what is your goal time?
Appreciate 0