KaptainKloss
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilla91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKloss View Post
Lol ok, at least the car can do much more than park itself. I never said it was perfect, its very much still a work in progress, but the progress is profound. Do you see BMW using a supercomputer to learn from daily driving situations? Don't think so...
BMW and other so called "legacy manufacturers" are offering hands free driving on the highway/motorway up to a speed of something like 40 mph today. I can literally spec the Driving Assistant Pro package on any recent BMW and get that.

Tesla on the other hand can't even manage regular cruise control on the highway/motorway without the risk of random phantom braking and potentially causing a fatal pile up.

I know which one I'd rather have and it's not the super computer.
Hands free driving is nothing revolutionary. If you look at Fords "Blue" driving system it requires hands on the wheel when the car detects even the slightest curve in a highway. What? How is that smart and what problem does that solve? Thats supposed to be "hands free"? Hands free driving is not FSD, it's a cop out of an option.

I love how everyone rags on Tesla but nobody seems to understand that technology has its growing pains. This is across every industry with any new innovation. You're afraid of phantom braking on a highway? Ok, fair point, don't use Autopilot on any 65MPH public road, at least not yet.

I'm also a BMW fan but the fact is, it is a legacy automaker. Another fact is, they just postponed L3 autonomous releases for the near future. Given where the skilled engineers are going and what they want to work on, the writing is on the wall.
Appreciate 0