View Single Post
      12-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #60
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just as a note...

No, you do not help the environment. Seriously. Electricity does not come free either; somebody pays for it, and it takes its toll to be produced.
I wouldn't probably go for a Viper but not for an I3 either.
A 2-3 series, or a even a very spacious and solid 5 with a diesel will do just fine. And with a diesel you will help the environment the most since you get the best energy/miles ratio. True

Do the math:
kwh battery capacity, $/per kwh charge, total $ per full charge to charge the battery.
Divide by "pure electric miles" and obtain cost per mile. Take after that in consideration the cost of the vehicle. Compare that with the cost of a normal 2 series (which is bigger and has a trunk) and see where you stand.
It was a test where the Volt cost $0.73/ mile and a normal gas 2.0 vehicle was $0.10/mile. Also keep in mind the max speed you can run on pure electric to get that range.

Oh, did I mentioned that to build a "green" vehicle damages the environment more than making an internal combustion vehicle?

Another thing, for example, a home charging system for a Tesla requires 75 amp service. The average house is equipped with 100 amp service. On a small street, the electrical infrastructure would be unable to carry more than 3 houses with a single Tesla, each. For even half the homes to have electric vehicles, the system would be over-loaded. There is also more pollution due to electricity demand, but you won't see it...

You will be surprised.
And all that, while you are sitting on top of an EMF environment which is as safe for your body as your cellphone is to the brain.
Appreciate 2
euro*1657.50