View Single Post
      07-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #48
dan1000
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

Experience with TJA and EAS

Yesterday, Tom at EAS installed a new TJA in my new-to-me 2016 I3 REX, and did the necessary coding. In about an hour, my car had a significant new capability, one that I anticipate using a lot on the crowded SoCal freeways.

The kit itself seems to work fine. After installing TJA, the two ACC distance-changing buttons on the steering wheel take on new functions. The top one cycles in a circle through all the distance options (rather than simply changing them in one direction). The bottom button is now used to engage/disengage TJA.

Once engaged, and if the TJA conditions are met (not going above the TJA speed limit threshold -- set by Tom to 62mph in my vehicle; camera can see the car ahead; lane markings clearly visible on both sides of the lane), TJA becomes active whenever ACC is engaged.

The effect is that the car steers itself automagically, to keep itself in the lane behind the car in front. It's not perfect -- one still needs to pay attention, just like with ACC. But I see it as a fatigue reducer on long rush-hour drives. I'm glad to have it in my vehicle.

Although the TJA engagement speed limit is set to 62mph in my car, I've found that above about 40mph it doesn't work too well, kicking offline quite frequently. Where it seems to excel is below 30mph.

Tom was a pleasure to deal with at EAS. I was pleased to see that he drives an i3 himself.

Dan
Appreciate 1
soheil64.50