View Single Post
      09-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #1
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

2014 i8, decided to have the A/C compressor replaced BEFORE it fails

car has 2,922 miles, 2014 i8 and I decided, based on Pat's Garage videos and also many i3 posts I have read, to jump from the original A/C compressor that my car has, up 4 part numbers, to the current one that was introduced in November of 2018.

Yes, yes, I know we have no "proof" it will protect my i8 from an internally self-destructing A/C compressor, but BMW, nor anyone else will ever be able to provide that. And for that matter--how many 2019+ i8s and i3s do you know that have had that failure happen? Besides, my 7-year California emissions-component warranty ran out on the A/C compressor (with no proof either way that particular warranty would cover a clogged battery coolant system) and now I am bareback--on my own. So I wanted BMW to have some skin in the game on this potentially catastrophic issue:

I specifically asked the service manager at Mt. View BMW what was covered if the compressor was replaced and he sayeth: "The new compressor would come with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty on parts and labor for the compressor itself. If the compressor was to fail within that 2 year period, it would be covered at no cost to you. If other components are damaged as a result of the new compressor failing within that 2 year period, they would be covered as part of consequential damage. "

That is what I wanted to hear. Start the clock. Let's see how we do.

And for the record. I paid full retail for that part. If you shop around on the web, you will find BMW dealers online that will sell it to you for around $1400.

Cheap BMW i8 Compressor

But I wanted to ensure there was no withholding of any warranty, so I bought it from the dealer who serviced it.

Appreciate 0