12-02-2022, 08:30 PM   #1
motzus
Private
Rep
Drives: i4 M50 (ordered)

Stop sale / recall on i4 and iX for Bad Electric Motor Drive Unit

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I was/am scheduled to pick up my i4 M50 on 12/19 at the BMW Performance center. My dealer just texted me and said that there is a stop sale for i4 M50i due to a recall. Is this a new recall separate from the batteries and the trunk sensor? The Performance center sent me an e-mail on Tuesday 11/29 to schedule for delivery. So did something happen between Tuesday 11/29 and Friday 12/2 or did my battery get added to the recall list? My car was produced in week 42 so that should be well after they solved the battery issues. Anyone know anything?

Dealer just updated me. It is the "electric drive unit." There were a bad batch and they are replacing them on all of the affected cars.

Update 12/27/2022
My dealer told me that BMW told them that they will have an update for them (the dealer) by the 2nd week of January.

My personal take is that if BMW is notifying dealers of the plan of action in the 2nd week of January the actual fix will not start rolling out until early February. Given that the fix is a mechanical item it will take time to ship the replacement all over the world. So, I guess early March I might get my car?

Last edited by motzus; 12-28-2022 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Update from dealer
Appreciate 1
M3 boi3211.00