View Single Post
      12-13-2022, 07:16 AM   #20
Hansn
Private
Rep
Drives: E28 528i 1982 - G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzer666 View Post
I agree with your observations minus B mode. Not a gimmick, D with adaptive recuperation (not regeneration) is a transitionary way of allowing people that are used to drive ICE cars still get adequate regeneration, while they get used to EV’s. Also, D with adaptive recuperation is not a standard feature.

This is clearly a preference but “B mode” will slowly but surely become the only mode EV’s will be driven. If you reference the manual, B mode is defined as the gear mode with the highest energy recovery.

Even though you may be correct of how the YouTuber was driving, you can coast just fine on B mode. It’s muscle memory and you do it without making a conscious effort. I can’t imagine driving the i4 in other mode than B.

Cheers!
The car he is driving has adaptive regen as its a DAP equipped car. Its sad that he does not explore this feature more. But as some people say, he is Teslabjorn after all. He is also frowning upon HUD even tho he had to admit its nice to have at high speeds in this video.. 😂 Looking at hes execution of coasting with B mode its non existent. Its just pure waste of energy as you are nowhere near getting back the energy spent to accelerate from say 180-200 by letting the regen brake you down from 200 to 180 or more.

I think its a great misunderstanding to think you get more regen in B mode. Many people seem to think this, but its wrong. It would be correct only if you drive more agressive and slam on your brakes instead of using the regen available to slow down.

The most efficient way to drive an i4 is eco pro/D mode according to BMW, the manual and simple logic.

The amount of regen braking available is the same in both D and B mode. In 100% of the cases you will have human error causing energy to get wasted even if your muscle memory was as close to perfect as possible. Nobody can balance it so perfectly that you never brake to much at any time, hence its less efficient even though its a driving style some people seem to like. Its atleast not efficient.
Since the car has adaptive regen that is controlled by sensors that are superior to human preception i dont understand why someone that has a car with DAP would use it.

The future is for sure NOT driving with 1 foot on a pedal constantly as we are moving away from even holding hands on the steering wheel.. 😆

I own both an i3 and an i4 and i dont understand why someone would want to drive in B mode even if they dont have DAP. Its a way less relaxed way of driving logically as you need to use your foot constantly. If you have DAP and drive B mode you are really missing out on the next gen B mode driving.. 😄
Appreciate 0