View Single Post
      01-12-2023, 12:16 PM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
The other unknown in all of the "buttons vs screens" tests is how familiar is the user with the systems involved, and what function they are performing. Most testers I see reviewing are coming from an "all buttons" environment, and are unfamiliar and uncomfortable with a new interface, with minimal - if any - time learning it. A good example in my iX is activating/deactivating seat and steering wheel heating. Sure, wading through menus is cumbersome and time-intensive, and could certainly be measured as "hard and takes a long time," however, just saying "turn off steering wheel heat" or "set steering wheel heat to low" requires no action from me at all other than speaking (and once mastered voice control for me is 100% reliable) - and it doesn't matter if it takes 5 seconds - turning off steering wheel heating is not time-critical. And I never need to take my attention off driving to push anything. Same for dimming the sunroof, or actually setting the following distance, or programming navigation. And the same for turning on a host of comfort features.

I mute and unmute the audio system by poking two fingers at the screen, without touching or looking at anything, or just tell the car to play a particular audio source without fiddling with the radio (would be interesting to see statistics on how many crashes involved pushing a physical radio button). My "go home" command is an open and closed fist, or just saying "go home." I find I'm using physical buttons less and less, and when I need it, a "button" is available in the menu (which is usually customizable for quick use). And many settings are set and forget, or automatic - I won't be frequently changing my interior lighting, or how my headlights behave, or most driving settings. Buttons have had their day, but I expect we'll see less of them as automation and other, and actually better, user interfaces improve.

Last edited by Paladin1; 01-12-2023 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 6
xueju1121618.50
Brwilli51.00
khailuan110.50
TXSchnee1307.50
Refujeet263.50