01-13-2023, 03:09 PM   #9
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacksonIII View Post
omg the crazy opinions regarding physical buttons.... The touch screen works great and looks great. Lose the pig headedness and get used to new tech.
Contrary to what you may be perceiving, in most cases, it is not people being pig headed, but as always, there are exceptions.

The touch screen works great for some things, particularly settings that you rarely or never change while driving. Those don't need to have dedicated buttons, although in some specific cases could still be preferable over burying it in a menu. The issue most reasonable people have is when you have to use the touchscreen to change something while driving. Whether the tech is new or not, touchscreens provide zero tactile feedback and require more time looking away from the road than a physical button would to press and some people prefer that.

A good example of that is the distance setting for the radar cruise control. In previous BMWs, that was a button on the steering wheel. In the iX, it is buried in the settings or perhaps you set a shortcut for it. Some people never changed the distance setting. Others fiddle with it all the time depending on traffic conditions. I personally used to change it to allow more distance in some traffic situations to avoid being super jerky, sometimes in slippery conditions I set it to more distance but had it set to the closest distance most of the time. I tried the adaptive setting in the iX and it does not follow close enough for my liking in normal conditions. I now have it set to the closest distance with no adaptive behavior. But now, I never change it to allow more distance in the situations I did so in the past because I prefer disengaging the cruise control over looking at the screen (and thus not the road)for the time it will take me to hit the right buttons.

You can obviously think of similar examples with tons of other buttons. Voice control can make sense for some cases, but frankly it doesn't work well for everything. Just like you can use voice control to roll down your window or use the button on the door. I'm willing to bet the button gets used more often even if you know you can use voice command to do it.
Appreciate 3