01-13-2023, 05:13 PM   #11
drbluedevil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX60-2024

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
As a counter point, these are not touch controls in my Cayenne, they are still buttons, just under a completely smooth glass. Still physical options for climate and volume, but this isn’t any different than having to access a touch screen.
I beg to differ. We also have a 2022 Cayenne, and making specific changes to the HVAC functions like temperature, fan speed, level of seat ventilation or heating, steering wheel heating, and even massage can be done with physical buttons as quickly as I can get my hand to the correct button by muscle memory without taking my eyes off the road.

In my iX, if I want to set my driver's side heating to level 3 or 4 without turning on the passenger's side, set steering wheel to 2, and set driver's seat+radiant heat to 3, I have to take my eyes off the road, push that stupid climate section of the touch screen, wait 3 seconds (308 feet traveled at 70 mph), then do a gorilla arm press of the section of the screen that now becomes the HAVC control. If I use the spinning wheel of misery to scroll through functions, it takes even longer with my eyes STILL on the touchscreen, since I have to see where the cursor lands. The voice command takes even longer to work, interrupts what I'm listening to, works only occasionally, often does something other than what I asked it to do, and is much more distracting and time-consuming than just biting the bullet with the fu&%ing touchscreen.

I love the car, but it's in spite of the absolute trash UI.

To the engineers who I hope read this forum: you can STILL make a clean, modern-looking car while having some very well thought-out, multifunctional HVAC buttons. You can put the steering wheel heater button on the wheel itself and hide it, like in the Cayenne. You can have an out-of-the way array of seat control buttons on the side by the doors and attached to the seat themselves (also like the Cayenne). You can have a very tidy interior AND have a few buttons!
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50