01-16-2023, 08:37 PM   #13
meko
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - 535i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerboi View Post
Pretty realistic with OEM aero wheels and ideal temps. My real world range over 16k miles is 210 miles in the winter with my 20” winter set (non-aero), 230-250 miles in regular SoCal weather on my 22s (non-aero), and about 260-270 on my OEM aero 21s.

Really depends on speed, elevation, temps, wheels (aero or not)/tire setup, and wind

1. Speed: Many of us in CA/NV/AZ/TX/UT/ID have speed limits at 70-80mph which means 85-95mph realistic traffic speeds so we get less range. We get it that the Northeast is slow and you get better range.

2. Elevation: You obviously lose range going on uphill drives (eg. Vegas-SLC) and get more range going downhill.

3. Temps: You lose 20-35% range in the cold (below 40F) and it’s worse if you run the heaters (seats @1%/hour and the blowing heater at 3-7%/hour)

4. Wheel/Tire setup: You lose 20% ish range without aero wheels. You lose 5-10% with wider tires or non-LRR/EV tires.

5. Wind: It’s a crapshoot but if you’re against it I’ve seen <1.7mi/kWh and if it’s a tailwind, you barely notice it.

You’re never going to use the “full” range of your car. I’ve done 100% to <2% at a charger but obviously not recommended. Effective range is 150 miles in winter and 200 miles non-winter between charges.
This is what scares me a bit. I’m not puttering around town all the time and while doing over 200 miles in a day, or even 150, often doesn’t happen the fact that you’re charging more each day/week is costing you money far beyond what I think most realize it is…but still cheaper than gas. IDK I’m all over the map with these high end EV’s. Love them some days and think bad fianacial decision the next. Not to mention the iPhone fear…battery and tech quickly making current offerings obsolete.