View Single Post
      01-17-2023, 06:30 AM   #19
ixDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3, BMW iX

Speed is such a huge factor in EVs.
I have done some recent local road drives here in 35F/25F with windchill weather WITH heat set to 69-70F, sports mode on, and because I was only doing ~40mph, my consumption was still only about ~35kWh/100mi.

So that would put me at 300mi for 100% range, in local road, heater-on, sports-mode, winter driving.

Even in highway driving 55-75mph during winter holidays, where it was firmly below 30F I found I was getting ~285mi for 100% range. Really not bad against the spec of 320mi range for the car.

Because Tesla overstates range to start with, I found my winter range in my allegedly 310mi Model 3 to look a lot more like 240mi.

So on paper while the iX appears to have same/worse range than a Model 3, in reality most will find it better. There was a brief sweet spot in mid-summer for 2 weeks where I could, in just the right traffic conditions, just about meet my Model 3 spec range.

Meanwhile I met & exceeded the iX spec range all fall, and have only dipped below since November.

I also find that the iX seems to be less sensitive to cold soaked batteries than the Model 3 was, or at least I have not left it out in winter cold long enough to trigger it yet my first winter, TBD.
Appreciate 0