Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G99M5 View Post
i see so people are not happy with claimed range but in terms of whr/mile - or whatever efficiency matrix of range / battery size it's still 10% better

that makes sense
What doesn’t make sense is when Porsche’s EPA is 190 but can go 240 and Tesla’s is 330 and goes 260. The inconsistency makes you have to go do a ton of research (I.e., wait for a real world test review) to understand what the true range is. If I drive very slowly in 70F with no wind and no rain and no heater on, I can get 250 wh/m which is full range. But who wants to - or who can - drive in those conditions? So on my old tesla model 3 perf I averaged 315 wh/mi over 15k miles, which is approx. 79% of the quoted full range number. And you have to start at 80% battery for optimal battery management, so I’d effectively have 59% usable range on the daily … and you don’t really want the battery to go below 20%, so now you have 39%. It’s just ridiculous. Oh, and when/if you do start at 100% charge the first 10% is gone very quickly because of no regen brake. Bottom line is it’s a great short distance efficient machine, and there are cost savings relative to most ICE options, but the range inconsistencies or variabilities and other requirements are something the average consumer probably isn’t aware of…
Appreciate 2